1. MILIT, Girinagar, Pune was formally established on 6th Feb 2012. It was inaugurated by Lt Gen A K Singh, PVSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC, GOC-in-C Southern Command.Maj Gen Ravi Saxena was appointed as the first Commandant and Director of MILIT. It has been established in the existing campus of Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (Deemed University) and is an independent and administratively self-accounting R&D establishment.
2. Institute of Armament Technology (IAT) was established at Girinagar, in 1967 as an organization for higher technological learning in areas of Armament Engg and Military Technology. The Institute was later rechristened as Defence Institute of Advance Technology (Deemed University) in Apr 2006 as an autonomous body. At this stage a need was felt that having an Institute of higher learning totally focused on Military Technology and related subject was essential for meeting the needs of the defence forces. It is in pursuance of this aim that the Military Institute of Technology has been established. MILIT and DIAT are located at Girinagar.
3. Since its inception on Feb 2012, the Institution has been imparting training in various disciplines of Science and Technology specific to defence requirement in general and weapon systems in particular to meet the short and long term non-degree needs of the officers of Ministry of Defence to include Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, DRDO and several other defence related institutions and establishments of the country. It is also undertaking the prestigious Technical Staff Course for Army, Navy and Air Force officers who will be later responsible for technical induction, performance evaluation and maintenance of the large inventory of military hardware for the armed forces. The tri-service nature of the institute promotes coordination and better jointness amongst Army, Navy and Air Force.
4. The faculty of this institute comprises of officers from tri-services and DRDO scientists. The institute has been imparting technical training to over 1000 young and middle level officers to meet the dynamic technological needs of the armed forces. In times to come, future needs of higher learning and research in military and Defence technology will be better fulfilled by this institute.
To excel in absorption and Management of contemporary and futuristic military technologies by effective and efficient transfer of relevant knowledge and skill sets to the officers in uniform.
1. To be world class training Institute capable of catering to contemporary and futuristic training needs of Defence Services and become first choice of Indian Armed Forces in the field of Defence Technology.
2. To be the nation's leading centre of excellence in imparting training on Defence Technology in order to enhance the effectiveness of the Armed Forces for meeting the technological challenges to national security.