Academic Programs Offered By the Department
History and Growth of the Department
The M.Tech program in Technology Management has commenced at DIAT, Pune, from A.Y 2014-15. During the initial period, admission was restricted to sponsored candidates only. However, now it has been opened for civilian candidates as well. DRDO, DPSUs, Ordnance Factories, Indian Coast Guard, Defence Services, and Defence Industry Partners have been requested to nominate candidates. The sponsored candidates would be required to stay at the DIAT campus, Pune, for the first year (2 semesters) and complete all the mandatory course work as per UGC guidelines. In the 2nd year, the engineers/scientists could be allowed to their respective organizations for carrying out project work. The syllabus is innovatively designed for handling real-world problems and case studies of the Ministry of Defence. Self-application orientation learning is given higher priority rather than classroom teaching. Department also offers Ph.D. in different areas of Technology Management. Faculty members play a vital role in mentoring, guiding, and training the students in various aspects and exposing them to practical issues in time, cost, and schedule management.
Faculty, Department of Technology Management
||Name of Faculty
||Dr. Sumati Sidharth
||Dr. Nilesh Ware
- Quality Management
- Project Management
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Operations Management
- Production Planning and Control
- Industrial Engineering
- Performance Management System, Project Management
- Strategic Management
- Technology Management
- Human Resource Management
- Behavioural Science and Stress Management
- Departmental Library
- Conference Room
- Well furnished audio-visual classroom
- Workshop on “Management of the Technology Era in Defence” was organised during 27-28Oct2015
- Workshop on “Data Analytics in Management” was organised during 28-29 Jan2017
- Online ATAL FDP on “Technology Management” was organised during 05-10 Oct 2020
- Collaboration with DRDO Laboratories ITM, ARDE, DRDL, HEMRL, R&DE (Engrs)
- Collaboration with Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru , IIT Delhi & NITIE
- Associated with national level Think Tanks viz; Centre for Air Power Studies (CAPS), United Service Institute (USI), Observer Research Foundation (ORF)
Departmental Awards & Recognition
- Best Research Paper Award (2016) awarded by Society of Operations Management for the paper “Modeling Sustainable Freight Transportation” at IIITM Gwalior
- The Emerald Literati Award for Outstanding Paper 2017
- Paper titled, “ A TISM modelling of Critical Success Factors of smartphone manufacturing ecosystem in India”
Any Other Information (Highlights of the department)
- Course Curriculum: The curriculum has been designed in a fashion as to amalgate the technology, strategy and management aspects. After the completion of the course, the officers posted at higher appointments, get an opportunity to involve themselves with formulation of strategic decisions of their organisation.
- Conduct: The subjects are structured in a systematic manner. This enables the student officers to learn in a smooth manner from the basic level. Latest audio/visual aids are utilised in the class for this purpose.
- Study Tour: The student officers are exposed to DRDO labs, Think Tanks like IDSA,CAPS, USI and Industries like Bajaj, Tata Motors, etc for understanding the practical aspects of Organisational Behaviour, Technology Management, Quality Assurance and Supply Chain Management.
- Project: The student officers in their second year, are guided to choose and complete project relevant to their respective organisation. During this phase, they are made to interact with various units within their organisation (relevant) to their subject/topic of project.
- Faculty: The faculty members have in-depth knowledge on vide range of subjects. This enables them to structure their delivery and impart relevant aspects to the student officers. All the doubts are clarified in the class. In case of further clarification, the faculty members go out of the way to find out and clarify in the next possible instance.